Top 5 Herby BBQ marinades
June 17, 2020
With the weather set to take a turn for the better this week, what better time to have a BBQ?
We have collated some of our favourite BBQ and marinade recipes from some brilliant chefs and pub restaurants. They’re all herby and delicious, and are the perfect way to impress your households tastebuds this weekend!
First, we have a Red Miso and Thai Basil Pesto from Simon Braz
- 100g Thai Basil Herb
- 100g Spinach
- 25g Cashew Nuts
- 25g Red Miso Paste
- 30ml Sesame Oil
- 30ml Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Mirin
- 50g Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Blanch the spinach and basil in boiling water for a few seconds until soft. Then, place into ice water, so they keep their green colour. Once cold, squeeze excess water and roughly chop with a knife.
- Toast the cashew nuts and place into a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Remove and leave in the fridge for one hour before using!
- We recommend using this for a tasty BBQ pasta salad.
To see more of Simon’s work, connect with him on Instagram, chefbrazakool.
Next, Robbie Lorraine has given us the sumptuous Barbecued Lamb Shoulder with Zhuog
Zhoug Paste Ingredients:
- 100g Coriander Herb
- 100g Basil Herb
- 100g Flat Leaf Parsley
- 10 Garlic Cloves
- 15g Cumin
- 5g Cloves
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 5 Green Chillis
- 1 Bunched of Spring Onions
- 1 Litre of Olive Oil
- 5g Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Lemons
- In a dry pan toast the cumin seeds, cloves and cardamom pods until they begin to smoke slightly and then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Roughly chop and wash the parsley, coriander, basil and spring onions and place into a blender with the olive oil and toasted seeds.
- Smash the garlic cloves with the back of a knife and roughly chop chilli’s and add both to the blender and blitz until you reach a course paste.
- Zest and juice lemons and add to paste along with the black pepper and a little salt.
…If you want to try Robbie’s full recipe, head over to The Nurtured Way.
You can also connect with him on Instagram, Robbie_lorraine.
Number Three, It’s The Crown at Great Ellingham’s Lamb Rump Marinated in Salsa Verde
- 1 Bunch of Rosemary
- 1 Bunch of Thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic (As little or as much as you would like!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lamb Rump
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste, and a little chilli if desired!
- Macerate the lamb for at least 1 hour.
- Cook the lamb on a hot BBQ long enough to char, but keeping some pink on the inside.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes before serving with your favourite sides!
Number Four, We have Sam Sturman’s Piri Piri Marinade
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 10 Red Chillis
- 5 Birds Eye Chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp Oregano
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 100ml Olive Oil
- 225ml Red Wine Vinegar
- Chop the chilli and garlic and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and combine.
- Add your favourite meat (or veggie alternative!) and leave to marinade until you’re ready to BBQ.
Last but not least, Ben Handley has given us a tasty Chimmichurri recipe
- 300g Roughly Chopped Coriander (Stalks n’ All!)
- 200g Roughly Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley (Stalks n’ All!)
- 100g Chopped Oregano (Just the Leaves and Stalk tops!)
- 2 Red Onions, Roughly Chopped
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves
- 2 Red Chillis, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 100ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 250ml High Quality Olive Oil (Not as Strong as Extra Virgin though!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Once all ingredients are chopped, combine and blend in a food processor until you have reached your desired texture.
- Add to any grilled meats and serve!