Herbs to Use and Recipes to follow this BBQ Season
May 29, 2021
Herbs are a great way to incorporate flavour into a variety of dishes. At Nurtured in Norfolk, we’ve got more than 20 different varieties of flavourful herbs available. With the weather just starting to heat up, we thought we’d get prepared for BBQ season. Although, with plenty of choice of herbs for BBQ rubs and marinades, it’s often difficult to know where to start. If you’re struggling for BBQ inspiration, fear not, we’ve got 5 great recipes for you to try!
To be used on meaty mains, or drizzled over vegetarian or vegan sides, you can check out our top 5 herby marinades below. From a range of wonderful chefs and pub restaurants, you’ll be sure to find a recipe you want to try. Follow our featured recipes below and don’t forget to tag Nurtured in Norfolk and our feature chefs on social media so we can see what you’ve made!
Thai Basil and Red Miso Pesto from Simon Braz
- Thai Basil Herb (100g)
- Spinach (100g)
- Cashew Nuts (25g)
- Red Miso Paste (25g)
- Sesame Oil (30ml)
- Olive Oil (30ml)
- Mirin (2 Tbsp)
- Grated Fresh Ginger (50g)
- Garlic (1 Clove)
- Blanch the spinach and basil in boiling water for a few seconds until soft. Then, place into ice water, so they keep their green colour. Once cold, squeeze excess water and roughly chop with a knife.
- Toast the cashew nuts and place into a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Remove and leave in the fridge for one hour before using.
- We recommend using this for a tasty BBQ pasta salad.
To see more of Simon’s work, connect with him on Instagram, Chef Braza Kool.
Barbecued Lamb Shoulder with Zhuog from Robbie Lorraine
Zhoug Paste Ingredients:
- Coriander Herb (100g)
- Basil Herb (100g)
- Flat Leaf Parsley (100g)
- Garlic Cloves (10)
- Cumin (15g)
- Cloves (5g)
- Cardamom Pods (2)
- Green Chillis (5)
- Spring Onions (1 Bunch)
- Olive Oil (1 Litre)
- Ground Black Pepper (5g)
- Lemons (2)
- In a dry pan toast the cumin seeds, cloves and cardamom pods until they begin to smoke slightly and then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Roughly chop and wash the parsley, coriander, basil and spring onions and place into a blender with the olive oil and toasted seeds.
- Smash the garlic cloves with the back of a knife and roughly chop the chilli’s and add both to the blender and blitz until you reach a course paste.
- Zest and juice lemons and add to paste along with the black pepper and a little salt.
You can also connect with Robbie on Instagram, Robbie Lorraine.
Lamb Rump Marinated in Salsa Verde from The Crown at Great Ellingham
- Rosemary Herb (1 Bunch)
- Thyme Herb (1 Bunch)
- Olive Oil (2 Tbsp)
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic (As little or as much as you would like!)
- Salt and Pepper (To taste)
- Lamb Rump
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste, and a little chilli if desired.
- Macerate the lamb in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Cook the lamb on a hot BBQ long enough to char, but keeping some pink on the inside.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes before serving with your favourite sides!
Piri Piri Marinade from Sam Sturman
- Salt (1 Tbsp)
- Bay Leaves (2)
- Red Chillis (10)
- Birds Eye Chillies (5)
- Oregano (1.5 Tbsp)
- Garlic (6 Cloves)
- Smoked Paprika (1 Tbsp)
- Brown Sugar (1 Tbsp)
- Olive Oil (100ml)
- Red Wine Vinegar (225ml)
- Chop the chilli and garlic and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and combine.
- Add your favourite meat (or veggie alternative!) and leave to marinade until you’re ready to BBQ.
Chimmichurri Marinade from Ben Handley
- Roughly Chopped Coriander (300g – Stalks n’ all!)
- Roughly Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley (200g – Stalks n’ all!)
- Chopped Oregano (100g Just the leaves and stalk tops!)
- Red Onions, Roughly chopped (2)
- Garlic (2 Large cloves)
- Red Chillis, Deseeded and roughly chopped (2)
- Red Wine Vinegar (100ml)
- High Quality Olive Oil (250ml – Not as strong as Extra Virgin though!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Once all ingredients are chopped, combine and blend in a food processor until you have reached your desired texture.
- Add to any grilled meats and serve!
Head over to the Bunched Herbs tab on our website to shop our full range of herbs for your dishes! Don’t forget to tag us on social media too, so we know you’ve given the recipes a go! You can find us on Facebook and Instagram.
If you’re wanting to add the finishing touch to your BBQ dishes, don’t forget to shop our BBQ Mix. Made up of summer herbs and packed full of edible flowers, its a great box to garnish all BBQ dishes and drinks.